You may have noticed that I’m not vegan. Not even a little. However, my friend Nalini brought these little vegan thumbprint cookies to one of the Monday Macro dinners in Palo Alto and they blew.my.mind. Soft and tender goodness topped off with a dab of homemade jam. Talk about amazing – no bacon needed.
More Delicious Than Bacon Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
Adopted from The Kitchn Blog
2 cups whole almonds
4 cups quick-cooking or old fashioned oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup canola oil
1 cup maple syrup
Jam of your choice
1. Process the almonds in a food processor until they are slightly more coarse than almond flour. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
2. Process the oats and salt in the food processor (no need to clean the bowl) until they form a meal.
3. Mix the almonds, oats and flour together.
4. Add the canola oil and maple syrup.
5. Let the dough sit for 15 minutes to harden. Form them into whole walnut-shaped balls and place onto a cookie sheet. Make an indentation in the top of each cookie and fill with a dollop of jam. You can also add a slivered or whole almond.