I have wanted to try a s’mores cupcakes recipe for so long! I’ve seen several recipes online for cupcakes with a chocolate base, but I really wanted to replicate my favorite cupcakes from Cupcakes a Go Go, a local bakery in Madison. Luckily, I came across a great recipe from Bon Appetit. I also loved that it had a chocolate ganache on top. I paired this with Martha Stewart’s marshmallow frosting recipe to create the ultimate s’mores cupcakes recipe!
These cupcakes will also be making an appearance on my wedding dessert table. So far the plan is Carrot Cake, Chocolate Cake with Caramel Buttercream, decorated sugar cookies, blueberry pie, and cheesecake! I can’t believe the wedding is less than three months away. There is still a lot to do, but I feel like I’m making great progress.
Graham Cracker Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache
Adopted from Bon Appetit
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 15 whole crackers ground in processor)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temp
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (do not exceed 61% cacao), chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Line cupcake tin with paper liners. Combine graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt in medium bowl.
Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating to blend between additions. Add vanilla. Add graham-cracker mixturein 3 additions, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with graham-cracker mixture.
Divide batter among cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350F for 17 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
Place chocolate in medium bowl. Bring cream just to boil in microwave or saucepan; pour over chocolate. Let stand 1 minute; stir until smooth. Cool ganache until lukewarm.
- Push apple corer about 1 inch into top of each cupcake; remove cake, forming hole. Pipe ganache into holes in cupcakes and spread two teaspoons of ganache over each cupcake.
Homemade Marshmallow Frosting
From Martha Stewart
Makes enough for 24 cupcakes
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer. Set over a saucepan filled with simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer bowl to electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat, starting on low speed, gradually increasing to high, until stiff, glossy peaks form, 5 to 7 minutes. Add vanilla, and mix until combined. Use immediately.
S’mores Cupcakes Recipe
1. Cover graham cracker cupcakes with ganache, as above
2. Pipe homemade marshmallow frosting on each cupcake. I used a Wilton 1M tip but next time I will probably use an open large tip, like the Wilton 1A. I think it would toast a bit easier this way
3. Use a kitchen torch to “toast” the marshmallow frosting. Alternatively, you could use your broiler but you have to keep a very close eye on them as there is a very fine line between toasted and charred!